Copyright 2024 - Cooke Ltd is authorised and regulated by Financial Conduct Authority Registered in England & Wales, Registered No. 10534057 Registered Address: 1530 London Road, Leigh on Sea, Essex SS9 2QG

For the following protection products we provide from a selected panel of providers.

Life Cover

People need Life Cover for a variety of reasons. The most common are to protect a mortgage and to provide for your dependents. Protecting your mortgage borrowing with life insurance is not compulsory with most lenders, however it is highly recommended especially when you consider the consequences of not having this protection. There are generally two types of life cover, Level Term Life Assurance and Decreasing Term Life Assurance.


Level Term Life Assurance

Life Assurance is sometimes known as Term Assurance. You can take this type of life assurance on your own, or with your partner as a joint plan.
You choose the amount of cover you need and the length of the plan. The level of cover remains the same throughout the plan term and usually so do the premiums you pay. The plan has no cash-in value at any time.


Decreasing Term Life Assurance

Decreasing Term Life Assurance is sometimes known as Mortgage Life Insurance. You can take this type of Life Assurance on your own, or with your partner as a joint plan.
Decreasing Life Assurance is designed specifically to protect a repayment (capital and interest) mortgage. The cash lump sum payable is designed to help pay off the outstanding balance of your mortgage.
You choose the amount of cover you need and the length of the plan. The premiums you pay usually remain the same throughout the plan term, however the cash lump sum payable decreases to reflect your decreasing mortgage loan. The plan has no cash-in value at any time.

Critical Illness

Critical Illness Cover is an insurance plan that pays out a cash sum if you're diagnosed as suffering from a specified critical illness, within the term of the plan. The plan has no cash-in value at any time.
Should you be unfortunate enough to suffer a critical illness, the last thing you'll want to be worrying about is money. Advances in medical science mean that the chances of surviving a critical illness are improving all the time. The cash sum you'd receive from a critical illness plan could help you through the recovery period, help pay for private medical bills or even pay off your existing mortgage balance. You may have to reduce your working hours, need to pay for ongoing medical care or have to adapt your house to make your day-to-day life easier. A critical illness plan could help all of this and more.
The sum insured and/or term chosen can be adapted to suit your budget.


Income Protection

The chances of finding yourself out of work due to long-term illness are unfortunately all too high.
In this situation, income protection cover can help you replace the lost income by paying out a regular income benefit to help replace lost earnings and/or it can pay a regular pension contribution protection benefit.
Whether you're employed or self-employed, income protection cover can provide support and help you maintain your standard of living for as long as it takes to get fit enough to go back to work.

Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance

Becoming unemployed can cause many problems, not least the fact that there simply may not be any money to pay the bills. Most people will agree that their home is their most important material possession, yet if mortgage payments cannot be made, the security of a home can be taken away.

You cannot rely on state help to cover your mortgage payments if you cannot work. There is no help for the first nine months of unemployment or disability for mortgages taken since October 1995. Existing borrowers only qualify for benefit if they qualify for Income Support.

You can buy cover to protect your mortgage payments if you have an accident or become ill and cannot work, if you become unemployed, or to provide full cover for accidents, sickness and unemployment. The terms and conditions under which you can claim differ with every policy, so you should always check them very carefully.
The Benefit period is the length of time you can claim monthly payments for, and these vary for each policy. You can select the time period you want to be covered but the longer you want the cover for, the more expensive the premiums will be.

There is also an Exclusion Period, sometimes known as an Excess period. This is the time you have to wait to start receiving benefits from the policy after you have become ill, had an accident or become unemployed. Again, this can vary from having no exclusion period to 30, 60 or 90 days. In some instances, this can be even longer.

This Payment Protection Insurance is optional. There are other providers of Payment Protection Insurance and other products designed to protect you against loss of income. For impartial information about insurance, please visit the website at
(by clicking the above link you are now leaving the regulated site of Cooke Independent Mortgage Services Ltd. Cooke Independent Mortgage Services Ltd, are responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked sites).

Buildings and Contents Insurance

You need to consider two kinds of insurance for your home. Buildings insurance, which covers the structure of your property and any fixtures and fittings, and Contents insurance, which covers all the furniture, furnishings and personal possessions in your home. In fact, it covers the things you would take with you if you moved.
The sum insured for buildings insurance must be the full rebuilding cost of your property and the sum insured for contents insurance should represent the amount required to replace all your furnishings and possessions at current day prices. As well as covering you against a long list of 'risks' (including fires, subsidence, theft, flood and storm) both types of cover include an important 'liability' section. This can provide you with protection if you are sued by a third party alleging injury to themselves or damage to their property caused by you or some defect in your property.


For buildings and contents insurance and Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance we usually offer products from a selected panel of providers